Lock change & Lock out Locksmith Service Assistance
Some people say that locks are just to keep the good people stay good and honest people stay honest, but they never keep the thieves away. Protection of home and possessions has always been major concern in life; everybody has a secret place to keep their valuables. There are also others who take more extreme approach by purchasing a safe made of thick steel with numerical combination key to store gold, money, stock certificates, watches, precious stones, and more.
Locks come in many different shapes, and each opens and closes with sophisticated system either mechanical or electronic. Advanced models feature fingerprint or retina scanning, but the vast majority of people are confident enough to use the more standard versions such as mortise lock, cylinder lock, or a strong padlock.
What does a locksmith do?
Most (if not all) homeowner’s insurance policies call for better home security with certain types of lock. As simple and negligible as they may seem, locks are the first line of defense to prevent intruders and burglars. Even if they are not the most advanced or sophisticated, good locks can reliably deter unwanted guests. Considering how important locks are to millions of homeowners, locksmiths always have important jobs to do. Besides the usual lock change & lock out locksmith service, these professionals also offer:
- New lock fitting: most locks used in typical houses are basically mechanical locks. They open and close when gears and levers are moved in the right direction with the right order of sequence. Just like everything mechanical, everyday use causes wear and tear. Friction between metals affects the mechanism; any lock will eventually fail to operate due to either corrosion or other damages. Locksmiths can replace the locks regardless of the damage.
Professional services also include proper installation that complies with homeowner’s insurance regulation. Professional locksmith makes sure the hinges and bolts are securely fitted as well. Fitting new lock does not have to wait until the lock is damaged. You can always call for a locksmith service anytime you need to upgrade the lock mechanism.
- Repairs: good quality locks are built to last. However, there can be unexpected issues such as broken keys, rust inside the mechanism, or the fact they some locks simply will not open unless by force. Instead of replacing such old keys, you may want to consider restoring the conditions, especially when the locks are centuries old that they are no longer in production now. Of course, this only applies for safe boxes or container, not on the door and windows.
- Duplicating keys: some keys are stamped with duplication prohibited or DND (Do Not Duplicate) such as those carried by security guards or maintenance employee. Typical door locks come with regular keys allowed for duplication. Locksmith can duplicate keys in the event of lost keys.
- Automobile: locksmith works not only on locks installed on the doors of your house, shed, barn, or cottage. Professional locksmiths are also trained to make, break, repair, and replace car keys. If you have a houseboat that needs lock service, a locksmith will provide assistance.
Lock change & Lock out Locksmith Service is not a new profession; it is actually a traditional trade that has now evolved in terms of equipment, expertise, and lock types. To be a professional locksmith, a person may need to complete apprenticeship or pass certification tests. Most states require locksmiths to be licensed and certified to do businesses. It is a specialized skill, and it is important for every locksmith to have relevant credentials.
Not every lock-change & lock out locksmith service provides equal level of services. Anytime you need their assistance to repair, replace, duplicate, and restore locks or keys, here are some things you should consider:
- Identification: there can be hundreds of locksmith services in your area, and you need to be sure whether you are hiring the right person. Check the credential and ask for business card or other forms of identification. Make sure the name, address, and business information match the invoice.
- Written estimate: you can ask about the fee on a phone call. However, let us not forget that sometimes a locksmith needs to inspect the locks before making an estimate. Regardless of the case, have the estimate written before the works start. Ask for explanation for every dollar charged. Do not hand over your credit card until you hear satisfactory explanation. Honest locksmith does not have anything to hide; there is no hidden fee.
- Insurance: another important thing is to ask for proof of insurance. Licensed lock change & lock out locksmith service should be bonded and insured, so homeowners are free from the obligation to compensate medical bills in case of accidents. Also, if you see any property damage, you can file complaint and the locksmith is obliged to provide repair or replacement compensation. If the locksmith is insured, all those unfortunate events can be resolved quickly.
- No drilling: in almost all cases, there is no need to drill holes into your walls or doors. Professional locksmiths have the right tools for the jobs, and they can open the locks without causing further damages. Of course, you need to be reasonable as well; lock replacement and new lock fitting may need drilling.
If you need a locksmith, look for local business. When the business is based in the same are as your place, you get quicker service and there is almost zero chance of getting scammed as long as you do your due diligence. Local business with a valid local address should be legitimate.